Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Is there anybody in there?

Christ, I thought I was done for the day but, having read a recent spate of people summarily standing beside the Marine who exectuted the ostensibly helpless Iraqi "insurgent" lying face down on the ground, I just had to say something. Here is what I said, short but to my point, in response to a friend's high-fiving of said Marine/possible murderer: "Bullshit, you guys, you can't possibly know as a matter of fact he was just doing his job, just like I can't say for sure he wasn't a cold-blooded murderer who had just violated all conventions of war, let alone morality. We don't know -- and if the investigation is solely in the hands of the Marines, do you really think we'll ever know? This is all so pathetic. Were I to apply your logic (that because war is hell, essentially, and when you're getting shot at and seeing your friends killed that basically anything goes), then one may as well shoot every single thing that moves in Iraq -- and be justified in doing so."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home