Friday, November 05, 2004

Hard day's night

It's been extraordinarily difficult for me to cope with the election results, for reasons at least generally alluded to earlier. There is a pit in my stomach that won't go away. I can't see that I will be able to tuck this all away and pretend to cow-tow to the status quo, because the underlying problems not only won't go away, but they were resoundingly re-affirmed. Thus, as though I was victimized by a physical assault, there is a call to do something.
So, what? Matt Good is actually advocating revolution. Though that is how I likewise feel, it seems awfully childish on an intellectual level. A revolution by words, spoken or written, is naive. Picketing, what does that accomplish? Violence? Right. And what would I say? And who would believe me? And what do I know? Nah, it's belief, including my construction of facts I choose to believe. There are obviously no such things as truths self-evident. How do people renounce Kerry as a supporter of gay issues and consciously ignore Cheney's own daughter is gay? How does a father marry, excuse the pun, interests that are so anti-thetical to those of his own child. How do people vote against the environment? How do people vote in favor of the nobility of family and family issues when half of marriages end in divorce, every day you read of fathers and mothers beating, neglecting and/or killing their children? All of this at the exclusion of the web of lies cast over Iraq. It's like hoping against hope, believing against belief, myopia against fact.
Last night at photography class I was working next to the only girl in the class that was a Bush proponent. As she was gloating to the class, boasting of the signs and stickers so continuously and proudly displayed on her lawn (and no doubt, these acinine ribbon stickers on her car!), I wanted to attack and yet what is there to say? You're an idiot? Instead, I just got quieter and tried to keep working, and then, as I ultimately became more enthralled with the dejected thoughts in my head, I left early to watch the Daily Show. Respite. Affirmation? 49% of Americans, and yet, the minority. 50% + 1, indeed.
So, I'll keep my eyes and ears open, continue to support Amnesty, and try and think of what, if anything, I can do ... other than to try and improve myself, for myself, my wife Marla, son Adrien, and future child now three + months in the oven. It starts here, with me, and where I take it ... we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home