Friday, November 05, 2004

Election redux ... the blues ain't alright

For starters, this is a culmination of recent emails/posts I've made on the day of, and/or in the wake of the election on 2nd november. Sorry to the extent that some of it is redundant, but this is my way of establishing my base for what is eventually, and hopefully to come on this site.

The first one is an email to Matthew Good:

I believe that there is a block in the synaptic call and response of conservatives' means of processing and regurgitating data. it is downright unnerving to hear some of their figureheads expound upon their beliefs, or worse, fail to be able to address patently obvious flaws, deceptions and holes in U.S. incorporated's engine. Have you ever heard or read Ann Coulter speak? Cheney says a vote for Kerry is a vote for Bin Laden. Hello? I am nervous about tomorrow. The embarrassment I would feel as an American if Bush wins tomorrow would only be trumped by the catastrophic realization of what is to come with another four years with Bush at the helm, closely matched by the catastrophic realization of the gross, appalling stupidity and/or manipulability of fellow Americans. The fact I live in a state (illinois) that will almost surely vote Kerry would be no consolation whatsoever, for what difference would that make? I agree with you that a Kerry victory is not tantamount to the ready transformation of water into wine, as I'm saddened that Kerry is what the Democrats have to offer us, but I further agree that it at the very least could mark a beginning for some positive change that could hopefully ripple throughout years. Wish us luck, Matthew. I hope you and Jen are well, and I'd love to see you sometime soon. Incidentally, my wife is pregnant again -- due 7th May. Her first pregnancy saw 9/11 -- would that this pregnancy sees American voters do what congress and the US media have completely failed to do: Impeach, and call for the immediate impeachment of GWB, respectively. Wearing my Asses of Evil t shirt tomorrow!Cheers,Paul Regelbrugge

Next comes a response to my longtime friend Scott's endorsement of Bush, which came as a shock to me, to say the least:

That's a very sad endorsement, Scott. I suppose since we almost always disagreed about so many things, even in high school, that I shouldn't be surprised. To me, however, that any intelligent person would give the Bush administration a pass for what he/it has done vis-a-vis Iraq is plain sad. I think that there is a blockage in the snyaptic call and response of so many conservatives that they can tuck away life and death issues, lying and manipulation issues of such epic proportions. My mom is a major Bush proponent -- I have asked her twice if my brother/her son Danny (who is in the Army and was sent to Iraq) had died over there if she would only then have been compelled to more closely scrutinize Bush and the rest of the asses of evil/usa inc.'s actions and deceptions. When and why have you come to the point of accepting the status quo, of accepting your manipulation. Pawns we all may be, but at least I'll fight such denigrated status. You're right, should Bush win, I shall refuse to accept it and shall become more active than ever before to do what Congress and the US media are too bought and sold to do: call for the impeachment of the worst president and administration in the history of this country.

Next comes an email to Matthew Good on the day after the election:

Not sure if I'm more embarrassed or sickened. 51% of those at exit polls yesterday were still saying they believe there is a link between Iraq and 9/11. Kerry actually did worse yesterday than Gore did four years ago -- Matt, we're in hell here. I blame the media and usa inc., but it is we the people who are so easily manipulated, so easily duped, so easily swindled and lied to. All the bible-bashing southern states and so much of this country (such small consolation that my state of residence, illinois, and my home state, michigan voted kerry) is so very sadly bought and sold. i was speaking with a neighbor about my outrage last night with how things were panning out, and she responded with the prototypical american response: "So very little affects me in my little old living room that I don't suppose I will feel a difference either way." Do you get that? Do you really understand that this is what it's like here? As two of my all-time favorite bands once said (The Clash and The Sound, respectively): "What are we gonna do now?"disgustedly, ashamedly,Paul Regelbrugge


And next is my invocation of Stiff Little Fingers' song, "Suspect Device", so sadly pertinent today. Big Takeover posters also reminded me of my hero Adrian Borland's "New Dark Age," and I also remember well The Jam's "Going Underground." Here is SLF:

Inflammable material is planted in my headIt's a suspect device that's left 2000 deadTheir solutions are our problemsThey put up the wallOn each side time and prime usAnd make sure we get fuck allThey play their games of powerThey mark and cut the packThey deal us to the bottomBut what do they put back?Don't believe themDon't believe themDon't be bitten twiceyou gotta suss, suss, suss, suss, suss outSuspect deviceThey take away our freedomIn the name of libertyWhy don't they all just clear offWhy won't they let us beThey make us feel indebtedFor saving us from hellAnd then they put us through itIt's time the bastards fellDon't believe themDon't believe themQuestion everything you're toldJust take a look around youAt the bitterness and spiteWhy can't we take over and try to put it right
We're a suspect device if we do what we are toldBut a suspect device can score an own goalI'm a suspect device the Army can't defuseYou're a suspect device they know they can't refuseWe're gonna blow up in their face"--Stiff Little Fingers (Jake Burns)


Next is a response to Scott's various responses to my criticism of his endorsement:

No hard feelings at all, Scott. I just find it stunningly paradoxical that you are ostensibly so liberal on social issues and that you'd then support Bush. You are the opposite, then, of the typical Bush voter, seeing as how the religious right (a/k/a the US equivalent of the Taliban that is now remarkably foisting its will on this country's citizenry) catapulted him to victory. If you don't agree that Bush is a part of USA Inc and he and his administration has no self-motivated/greedy interests/agenda, I can't do anything about that. I don't think you're misinformed, just a little surprised that such a smart person as yourself can take men like george bush at face value. And when I say this, god/allah forbid that I don't say this from a platform as though I'm wiser. You're one of the smartest people and best writers I know, and I've told you so before. Until recently, I was chronically disinterested in politics because it never spoke to/for me. Now knowing what I know and/or believe, as you may wish to point out, I find it unacceptable not to voice my concerns, fears and hopes. If I can do more than that, I certainly intend to do so. Every life lost in Iraq, on both sides, is 100% intolerable to me. If your conscience tells you to condemn religious zealotry's stranglehold on social and environmental reform, among so many other issues, then I just couldn't understand a vote for Bush. I'm not saying this on your blog because the last thing I want is for your mom, just like my mom by the way -- who is likewise a bush lover, to think that I'm attacking her son. Friend, indeed.Incidentally, that's funny about what you said my dad said. Given my relationship with my dad, it's easy to forget that he oft dispensed pearls of wisdom.As for m-m-mikey, whatever. I'm happy to debate these issues with anyone, just not people who can't stay above the board and refrain from getting personal. I just wasn't sure at first if it wasn't your buddy mulligan. cheers, and god bless you and eileen and c.j. upon the advent of your new child,Paul

And finally to Scott:

That's all well, Scott, you're a great friend and good person, period. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, though, let alone terrorism per se. Even the devil Bush now admits that, Scott. If America really cared about ridding the world of all bad people, what of Sudan and the whole of northwest africa, for example. Hmm, no money in it, is there? Guess that means it's okay for THOSE tyrants to remain in power. Let me ask you this, let's say your family lived in present-day Iraq as Iraqis and your wife and child were killed by, say, a U.S. soldier via bomb or otherwise. You tell me you wouldn't do everything in your power to kill Americans, possibly including a strike against Bush somehow? I know I would. I know my life would matter so very little without them under such circumstances. If you wouldn't, then that's where we differ fundamentally. See, in my opinion, most terrorists aren't terrorists for the sake of being a terrorist, but rather because of causes, directly and indirectly against them. That our actions have undoubtedly set in motion hordes of new, budding terrorists is just wonderful to me. Keep it up, georgie.Alright, that's the last I'll speak of this to you now. We obviously disagree and so I'll move on. I'll certainly tell my son and future child who they have to thank for the world they're inheriting, environmentally, socially and safety-wise (ie, the bush admin in such overwhelming part).Again, I hope all goes so great with the second birth and here's to a tremendously healthy and beautiful baby!Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home