Sunday, February 06, 2005

an arrangement

On Sunday, 30th January 2005, my father, Guido Victor Walter Andrew Regelbrugge died at the age of 66. In all, he had three sons, three stepsons, six granchildren and another one due in May. But that doesn't come close to the heart of my father; the stories of my father. I alone lack the perspective, let alone settled heart and mind to eulogize him, so I won't even try. I loved my dad and he loved me, his first son, more than we probably ever conveyed to each other. However, despite a relationship affected and strained following a divorce the hurt from which he never did shake free notwithstanding a loving second marriage and the passage of 21 years, the point is that we did love each other, we confronted all issues for better and very often for worse, and we would both have acknowledged we never approached in words our mutual love between father and son, son and father. He would often attribute the sub-optimal times in our relationship to a fact of which he was certain; that I was his son most like him in so many ways. Of course, my predictable but unstated actual response would have been one of denial, but the fact is, regardless of the veracity of his belief in this respect, I realize now more than ever how honored I am that he thought of me that way. Moreover, I realize now more than ever that there is no way I could ever touch, influence, mentor, inspire, motivate 1/100th of the people who passed through the classrooms, soccer fields, and living rooms of my father. I am in a different profession, a different life, and though I'd like to believe I have similar speaking and motivational talents, as Talk Talk sings, life is what you make it. It is a long road ahead, and the pain of my dad's death is far too close for me to have sufficient perspective from which to expound upon learned truths; to connect the dots of memory and fact; ascertain to what extent I could or should have done certain things differently; better understand why and how things went bonkers for us only after his remarriage; pick up the pieces left off in his wake -- things unsaid, relationships with others unresolved, honoring commitments I made to him in the weeks before he died and only now realizing the magnitude of such commitments in light of numerous and diverse new revelations the extent to which my dad never knew....

There is one point I do wish to convey at this time. Neither my dad nor I were/are people who revel in regrets (non, je ne regrette rien....), and especially not with respect to facts underlying our own relationship. We were/are too proud, too headstrong for that. But here is the thing. Irrespective of regret, when looking back in hindsight at the times -- days, months, years -- during which we were at odds over one thing or another and the certitude that to this day I still think I was always in the right and I am positive he likewise thought he was always in the right, what a waste; a calamity. How, or why is it that people who love each other so can let such myopic preoccupations and principles stand in the way of the finitude of our times together on this planet? A waste. As my dad suddenly exclaimed to me with reference to a different, but likewise recurrent subject that did not directly involve me one month before he died, "for what?!?" I resolve to think more broadly, of the bigger picture of what ought to be in contrast to the world according to Paul, the gospel according to Paul. This may sound trite but I defy you to tell me you don't lose sight of this fact in your own life from time to holiday and back again. I know we are humans bound to err and we are inherently consumed with ourselves, some far, far more than others, but when it comes to mothers, fathers, siblings, children, spouses, significant others, dear friends ... life is far too short, far too bereft of compassion to drift from, or grow estranged from the ones you love over what are ultimately, for people who will all one day share the ground from whence they came, trivial, egocentric concerns. My wife sighs and wonders how long my new "I love the world" coda will last, knowing me as she does, but the beauty, after all, lies in the trying. To try, is to be. My dad would have liked that sentiment, and would have been proud to know I've arrived at such a mantra, as perhaps he too would have concluded had I predeceased him. It just shouldn't have to take a death to bring such a sentiment to life; make it real....

6 Comments:

Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

Vive la liberte d'etre, bien sur Chells. Merci mille fois pour la compassion et la sagesse ce qui nous offrir, Daniel et moi. Comme j'ai dit a mon pere pendant le jour quand il est mort, "faites la confiance, papa...."

7:45 PM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

Thanks Kristi, I was disappointed I never had a chance to speak with you and your mom last tuesday night. As you saw, I never had a moment's rest; one person after another coming to speak with me. I hope you are sincerely well.
Chells, no I love your comments. What song is that? Definitely the existentialist mantra. I do like our French exchanges, it's just that I realize I must acquire an updated French-English dictionary to remind me of some words I've obviously forgotten. I am sorry for my mistakes, but I genuinely appreciate the depth to which you go in your comments to my pieces as well as those in response to my brother's writing. Thanks again for your interest and understanding. Please tell me if you'd like me to burn you a couple of cds you might be interested in. Ask Daniel -- I do this gladly and realize the cost of import cds in particular. My two big new releases favorites at the moment are the new M83 cd, and also the new acoustic Bright Eyes cd -- both excellent records; highly recommended. Yes I was at my dad's side on the day/morning he died, together with other family members. A story unto itself. Take care!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

Pas de probleme pour des cd. J'aurai besoin de l'addresse, et aussi, as-tu achete les premiers disques de Lanois, ou Bark Psychosis, ou le premier disque des Libertines? Oui, M83 et Bright Eyes aussi. Merci pour la reference a corneille et l'autre type, je chercherai les deux. Merci encore, la musique m'aide beaucoup, toujours.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

yup, fire away.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Scott Hess said...

Much love to you, old friend. You are a graceful soul.

This might sound weird, but I was sort of ruminating over my own parents' death a few years ago, and I wrote something that may be resonant for you. I was trying to find some silver lining, if you will, some way to feel okay about it. Here's what I wrote, and know that I don't pretend to know how you're feeling right now:

We feel terrible when someone dies, because we feel that we too have died. In fact we sometimes say things like, “A part of me has died.”

Which part? Are we not whole people? What we mean is that we are part of the person who has died, just as they are part of us. And so we feel as if we, too, have died, and we are afraid.

We are afraid that we'll simply be left alone to disintegrate and disappear. But the miracle is that we are capable of engineering our own resurrection. By embracing our dead loved one -- our grandfathers, our mothers, our friends and lovers -- and carrying them out of sacred space with us when we leave, by living out the full potential and potency of their inspiration, by wrapping ourselves in their soul and spirit...we almost literally lift them up from the dead. While I don't believe I'll ever see a dead person stand up and walk days after her death, I do believe in the resurrection that a community of friends and family can provide -- for the departed, and for themselves. And I believe that is not simply a possibility but a responsibility of those left behind to lift life up to its highest purpose, and to walk on as if buoyed by the vaporous spirit of the departed. I believe that by carrying deceased souls with us, we are ourselves lifted up and made lighter.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

All resonant and very well said, Scott, and thank you genuinely for your support, words and friendship. I have indeed been able to, for fleeting moments so far, intellectualize parts of this whole process. But at the end of the day, I'm still left there ... me and my loss; emotional overwhelm.... That's the part you can't put in words. At least not yet.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home