Monday, December 27, 2004

Screaming From Beneath The Waves....

"'The waves just kept chasing us. It swept away all our huts. What did we do to deserve this?'"
***
"Many foreign tourists, some evacuated in their bathing costumes, were left destitute, all their possessions and passports lost to the waves."
Bodies Piled on Asian Coasts, Tsunami Kills 22,000
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/122804Y.shtml

One thing about nature, it doesn't know how to discriminate. If the times in which we live don't already stink of the brimstone armageddon threatened throughout the book of Revelations, then I can't fathom what lies ahead. I realize that generation after another has for centuries reckoned that the end was nigh, but really, there is a perpetual eschatological pit in my stomach that I can no longer alleviate by escapist and head in the sand meanderings. I gaze at a full moon above and wonder how far away lies a light of deliverance ... if not of biblical proportions then what? If humans don't fuck up the world then nature, the great leveller indeed, will be sure to finish the job for us. Kiss your kid; your spouse/significant other; hold your breath and steady you go ... the great leap forward ... to what ever lies ahead. Happy new year ... happy new life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

You're an intuitive soul, Chells, happy new year to you as well. Mais ou se trouve les bleus, blancs et rouges ... les Habitants de Montreal de ma jeunesse....

8:08 AM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

D'accord, Chells, tu as raison, oui c'est vrai ... et c'est dommage pour tout le monde. Je voudrais te poser une question: Est-ce que tu connais la musique de Charles Aznavour? Si oui, parce que tu es francophone (c'est vrai, oui?), et surtout ton pere et ta mere, connais-tu la musique francophone aussi triste qu'Aznavour? Je connais aussi la musique de Brel, Piaf, Francoise Hardy, Bruel, Hallyday, Gainsbourg, et Montand, mais pour la plupart, ils manquent a la douleur chanson par chanson. Shit, sorry I've forgotten so many grammar rules, let alone vocabulary, Chells. I tried. If you don't understand my question, let me know and I'll explain myself in English. Thanks much

12:09 PM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

Thanks for your very thoughtful response. Actually I don't really like musicals at all, apart from some songs in Camelot, Sound of Music ... just a few. I grew up with those two and so they are too engrained into my mind to dislike those two, for example.
Yeah, I really do love Aznavour. What I meant with my attempted sentence that you could not understand was that -- as my father and I recently discussed -- despite the great, deep philosophical tradition of France, there are so very few French singers who sing with substance, meaning ... and melancholy. Even in my father's opinion, Aznavour is about as good as it gets. Certainly I love him, but I was wondering if you were aware of any others with whom I am unfamiliar. I will have to explore this Quebecois singer you mentioned. And also, I totally agree about La Boheme ... Je vous parle d'un temps... oh man! Thanks Chells

2:10 PM  
Blogger Paul V. Regelbrugge said...

merci beaucoup, encore. have a "happy" new year weekend -- i'll be out, without computer access until sunday. Thanks again, sincerely.

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home